My Ragdoll Family

My Ragdoll Family
Megailee Ragdolls

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

The Scoop on Cat Poop

The photo on the left is of two ragdoll kittens training for using the litterbox here at Megailee Ragdolls.

I am going to give you the scoop on poop. To be specific diarrhea. I am not a vet and when there is an issue you should consult a professional. I read a lot about the issue and in 90% of the time it does resolve within 48 hours.
For new pet owners it is sometimes a major concern.





Color
Yellow or Greenish stool - fast transit within the system
Black - indicated bleeding in the upper digestive tract
Bloody - lower bowel (colon) bleeding
Pasty or light colored stool - lack of bile
Grey large rancid smelling stool - indicates inadequate digestion

Consistency
Soft Bulky stool - overfed or poor quality food high in fiber
Watery stool - bowel wall irritation with rapid transit and impaired absorption
Foamy stool - bacterial infection perhaps
Greasy stool - malabsorption syndrome

The concern is usually dehydration. In kittens this is critical but always a concern with any pet or person.

I have found the Iams Hairball dry food helps bind the stools.
Again, when in doubt a vet visit is suggested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ragdoll Kitten Family

My Ragdoll Kitten Family
Megailee Ragdolls