My Ragdoll Family

My Ragdoll Family
Megailee Ragdolls

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

When Does Nursing End?

This is Lucy and her litter of 5 Ragdoll kittens. In this photo they are 11 weeks old and almost attacked her to nurse. They started weaning onto solid food at around 4-6 weeks of age and by week 8 were fully weaned. They also were litterbox trained by week 5 and scratch post trained as well.

They still will nurse when given the opportunity. In fact if their mom is not around they will suck on another adult (even a male) or a fellow kitten.
When is enough ?



It is a comfort thing for the kittens but is it so for the giver? When it was happening to my older male cat Kingstone he was ok with it but after a while he was not too happy. I would imagine getting all wet and having younger kittens tackle you down cant be too fun. In time they will outgrow this behavior.

There is a time in all our lives when we just have to move on and out of our comfort zone.

3 comments:

  1. I want to feature your blog sooo badly - but I don't want to give blogger credit! Will you be switching it over? This is such cool information!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I try to post some interesting things that may help people or make them smile. I am still new at blogging and want to see how this does and if I get many followers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohmygoodness, what an ADORABLE picture! It made me LOL! Seeing those BIIIIIG kittens all over their (sweet and patient!) mama reminded me of when we brought Bentley home, at age 13 weeks. He would frequently try to "nurse" on his new (older) brother, Boo... who, like Lucy, was remarkably patient and good-natured about it! Bentley eventually outgrew it, but we had many chuckles about it until then!

    ReplyDelete

My Ragdoll Kitten Family

My Ragdoll Kitten Family
Megailee Ragdolls