My Ragdoll Family

My Ragdoll Family
Megailee Ragdolls

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mink Ragdoll Kittens / Cats - What's it all about?

Being on several Ragdoll forums and discussion groups I hear the question come up a few times as to what is a mink ragdoll. At Megailee Ragdolls in NC we specialize in the traditional colors and do not have minks so I did a little research.

I googled Mink Ragdolls and several photos came up and I randomly choose the one on the left. The coloring and distinction between the points and contrast is less. They are born with color vs the traditional ragdolls are born white. Their eyes are aqua.




For a mink there is the presence of the sepia gene of the Burmese breed and that replaces one of the Ragdoll's two pointed genes. This is what makes the coat and points darker. Minks are considered an unaccepted variant and as such can not be shown.

Mink or the word has nothing to do with a Mink coat and apparently some breeders charge quite a bit more for them. Maybe the word mink just sounds rich.? They really are not rare and you can find them with little effort. A lot of breeders choose not to deal with them due the factors mentioned above.

If you like minks and want one then do your homework on them and the breeder and enjoy. A ragdoll should be close to standard regardless of coloration. For me I will stay with the colors of blue and seal and all patterns of mitted, bicolor, and colorpoint and lynx of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ragdoll Kitten Family

My Ragdoll Kitten Family
Megailee Ragdolls