My Ragdoll Family

My Ragdoll Family
Megailee Ragdolls

Monday, August 9, 2010

Vet Cost for Spay/ Neuter - Need to Shop Around


All pets leaving here to go to their adopted homes as pets are spayed (if a female) or neutered (if a male) by Megailee Ragdolls cattery. It is one less think to worry about for a new "parent".
The thing I have found is a major variation in price for similar services and the need to shop around. There are about 4 vet offices within a 45 min drive from here. The closest one is the most expensive and never seems to be able to fit me in when there is an emergency. For example I was once quoted a price of $350 for a spay. This included an overnight stay and meds. Whether I wanted it or not was not an option. Other prices varied from $125 - $250. Males are a bit cheaper and some offices charge the same for female or male. Other than the above place I am always able to get a very sick cat or kitten in the same day. Fortunately I do not need this service often.
My point is to compare prices of types of procedures and judge quality and service of the vet office. I use different places for different things.
When adopting a pet make sure you ask whether the spay/neuter is completed prior to adoption. Sometimes what seems like a cheaper price for a pet may end up costing more. I remember the lady who complained after the fact that her bargin $600 ragdoll kitten cost $850 after her spay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ragdoll Kitten Family

My Ragdoll Kitten Family
Megailee Ragdolls