My Ragdoll Family

My Ragdoll Family
Megailee Ragdolls

Friday, September 10, 2010

Raising Oliver - Hand Rearing A Newborn Kitten




Little Oliver was born and then 10 hours later a brother was born. His brother was underweight and never really had a chance. Oliver did well his first week. His mother barely was eating since giving birth. I don't think cats get depression but anything is possible. She was taken to the vet for an ultrasound and total blood work. All was normal.
I noticed Oliver starting to lose weight fast and so I started bottle feeding him at the same time hoping his cat mom would try to nurse him and clean him. She was trying but it was obviously there was no milk available as he screamed and searched frantic for a milk source.
It was very hard at first. Fortunately he was sucking so could use a bottle. I do not know how to tube feed and drop feeding or other forms can cause a kitten so young to choke or die by having too much go in too fast. It can accumulate in the lungs and they could die. Once I got the bottle in his tiny mouth he sucked so fast and loud you can hear it. His belly was blowing up before my eyes. I suppose this is how a tick feels after suckling the blood from its victim? Since Oliver also inhaled lots of air I did burp him. He looked so happy and content afterward.
I have concerns over being a only kitten and him being lonely. My daughter donated her beanie baby and Webkinz kitten dolls. Very gracious thing for one so young to offer. I am also concerned over Oliver and tummy problems and diarrhea. Lots of issues. But for now he is gaining weight and being fed. So this is a good thing. Keep fighting Oliver and YES you can have some more.





































No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ragdoll Kitten Family

My Ragdoll Kitten Family
Megailee Ragdolls