My Ragdoll Family

My Ragdoll Family
Megailee Ragdolls

Thursday, September 2, 2010

How to Select A Ragdoll Cat Breeder - Interview With Lynn - Part 2


1. How many ragdolls do you have? Name/ages/gender

I am happily owned by 2 adorable and spoiled Raggies. Boo will be 4 years old in January 2011; and Bentley ("Squeak") will be one year old in December 2010. Both are boys (neutered of course!); Boo is a seal bicolor, and Bentley is a blue lynx mitted.








2. Where did you find Boo's breeder?

Weeeeeeeeell, merely by chance and happenstance! I live in a small town in PA and became enamored by Ragdolls from something I'd seen on TV. I started researching the breed and from the internet I found a breeder a few hours away.



3. Where you satisfied that you did your homework?

Not now, but at the time, honestly, I just didn't know any better. We had no experience with adopting a purebred animal; all of our many previous pets had been rescues.



The truth is, I didn't recognize a few red flags and ignored some others.



What "red flags"?

Well, for one thing, the breeder was very hard to communicate with. E-mails and phone calls often went unanswered or only half-answered. Once we met her, I saw that the cats were kept in her basement, in various sizes/ types of cages and confinement, far away from the family and all household activities. There were at least 5 litters of kittens of various ages, plus all her breeder cats. She was obviously frazzled and all the cats were skittish. But I barreled on! The fact was, I fell in love with Boo on the spot, put a deposit on him, and brought him home about a week later.



4. What would you do different?

That's a good question. I cant imagine our lives without Boo....so I do not regret our decision to get him. But Boo came to us with a heart murmur, an URI and diarrhea, none of which we knew about until the day we picked him up. Although he got well and soon began to thrive, at that time my vet actually advised me to return him... but of course there way no way I could even consider that.



And although Boo has always been gentle and sweet, it was obvious to us from the beginning that he had not been well socialized and it took a long time for us to fell like he finally "connected with" and trusted us.



TO BE CONTINUED ...........................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ragdoll Kitten Family

My Ragdoll Kitten Family
Megailee Ragdolls