My Ragdoll Family

My Ragdoll Family
Megailee Ragdolls

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Why and When do Cats Purr?


The other day someone came over to pick out a kitten. Since there were almost 2 identical seal mitted girls she was overwhelmed in deciding which one was for her. One girl when picked up purred instantly. The other girl was calm and ragdoll kitten relaxed but no purr (at least no yet).
She asked me when do they start to purr?
Great question. I have seen a wide range of when and some I wonder if they will at all. Almost all do at some point in their life.
Kitten purr when nursing and queens (mother cats) purr during birth or just prior to birth as well as when nursing. Little Oliver who is 4 weeks now purrs when I hold him. He sounds like a motor boat but it is a purr. My Janessa started to purr at 4-6 weeks of age. LuLu the 14 week old kitten has been purring since 8 weeks of age. Her sister hasn't started yet. I believe when they start is as variable as their personality.
Reasons Cats Purr:
Contentment
Injured
Frightened
Birth or Nursing
Purring to a cat or kitten is like a smile to a human.

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Ragdoll Kitten Family

My Ragdoll Kitten Family
Megailee Ragdolls